Step 1. Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Step 2. Make Payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Step 3. Receive your paper
Due date: April 25 What are academic sources? Articles in scholarly journals, bo
Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, At affordable rates
Due date: April 25
What are academic sources? Articles in scholarly journals, book chapter or books that are either about the film or about the topic you are discussing. (Ex: if your paper is about Vertigo’s relationship to film noir, your sources can be about Vertigo, Hitchcock, genre, etc.) Interviews with filmmakers are also acceptable sources
Citation: Chicago Style is a commonly used citation style. You can use others, like MLA, Harvard, or whatever – but be consistent. https://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/tools_citationguide.html
This is not an in-depth research paper, though! The sources should help you think and support your argument and ideas. If you want to make a general point, support it with a citation. For instance, if you want something broad about superhero movies before analyzing Black Panther, cite an authoritative source.
Ultimately, I am primarily interested in your own critical thinking and ideas!
What should the paper be about? What is expected? There are options:
– follow the same approach of midterm paper and offer a close analysis of one film focusing on formal elements (here, as you have more space that in the midterm, you can go deeper or examine more than one film). Many good papers could be written about the use of sound in The Swamp; mise-en-scene in Black Girl; cinematography in Roma. You can also think about genre (and style). For example, the relationship between Vertigo of Blade Runner and film noir
– You can also take a little more distance from the film than in the first paper (though be sure to discuss the films as films too, that is, as an audiovisual art. And be specific with your language and examples!) Here the sky is the limit.
Examples off the top of my head (we can expand on them in class):
– African objects and colonialism in films like Black Panther and Black Girl
– Black Panther as an allegory for racial politics
– Forms of identification and identity in films like District 9 and Black Girl
– A comparison between Black Panther and The Last Angel of History as Afrofuturist films
– Etc etc etc
If you want to deviate a lot from these suggestions or discuss films we haven’t seen, check with me first!
Recommendations about the writing:
Titles are important!
A good paper will say something meaningful about the film that needs demonstration. Imagine that you are writing this essay to one of your classmates (preferably someone you find really interesting or smart). They already know a lot about the film because of the class, so there is no need to relay basic information. You want to say something that they haven’t noticed—or perhaps something that they would even doubt, so that you have to prove it to them by unpacking the film.
Start each paragraph with an idea that needs demonstration not a descriptive sentence. Use concrete examples.
Despite all the above instructions, my hope is that you will take some pleasure in this assignment. It is rewarding to examine a good film and refine your thoughts about it. All the films we have seen are very well-made and will reward close attention.